- NAME: Lucy Barton
- CHALLENGE: Amnesty International Kilimanjaro Challenge
- DEPARTS: August 2012
- TRAINING LOCATION: Dandenong Ranges, VIC
- OTHER: This is unlike any challenge Lucy has done before.
In August 2012, Lucy will witness the dramatic sunrise over the Kenyan plains as she rests on the edge of a volcano. She is currently training and fundraising to participate in the Amnesty International Kilimanjaro Challenge where she will embark on the 7-day trek via the lesser-travelled Rongai Route and ascend Africa’s highest peak (5,895m). With every step, Lucy’s participation is helping Amnesty International fight injustice and protect human rights.
”What’s going to drive me is knowing there’s a much greater reason for doing it than just climbing a hill.”
Here’s a recent article about Lucy’s journey to the summit of Mt. Kilimanjaro.
Funds raised by the Amnesty International Kilimanjaro Challenge will provide essential funding for Amnesty International to disclose human rights abuses accurately, quickly and persistently; to mobilise supporters to apply pressure on local governments and ultimately stop the abuse.
- Lucy’s fundraising page: Lucy 2 Kilimanjaro
- More information about Amnesty International Australia
- Amnesty International Kilimanjaro Challenge
- Find your Inspired Adventure – check out our calendar today.
- Fellow Kilimanjaro Challenge participant, Tim Keats in the news
- To find out what climbing Mt Kilimanjaro is like, read past participant Helen’s account of ‘Life on Kilimanjaro: A day in the life of an Inspired Adventurer’
- To see an inspiring image of our February Mt Kilimanjaro summit, see ‘Cure Cancer Kili Klimbers at the Summit’
- Visit the Inspired Adventures Calendar and find a Charity Challenge perfect for you.